Monday, March 19, 2007

Best Cities for Software Developer Pay

Having been born and raised in Massachusetts (and basically never left, I even went to college here) I've always had a skewed view of the high tech industry.  I was destined to be a coder since I was 10 years old, and nothing really changed all that much.  But does that mean I've got the good life?  Big salary, big house?  I'm glad that Delatores.com looks not only at pay, but at pay adjusted for cost of living.  Boston is right up at #6 on pay alone (interesting that 3 of the top 5 are in California), but once you factor in cost of living, it drops right off.  Once you do that, Texas rules the list.  The blog post lists data for the top 50 largest cities, but doesn't sort them by any measure that I can see.  When you sort by adjusted salary, Boston drops to 37.  Yeah, I have to say I look at my mortgage statement and I feel more like a 37 than a 6.

 

Technorati tags: , , ,

No comments: