Sunday, March 30, 2008

Help, My Wii Remote Is Backward

Ok, this is a new one.  Went to play EA Playground with the kids (a new rental, never played it before), and discovered that my P2 controller is...reversed.  As in, mirror image.  Left is right, up is down.  Oddly, when I bring up the Home Menu, even the hand icon is upside down?!  Messed up.

I resync the controllers, this time using the backward one as P1 instead of P2, to see if it is a problem with the game.  Nope - now P1 is backwards.  The problem is with the controller.  But, still, if you go out of the game and back to the main menu, the controller is fine. 

I fire up Mario Galaxy and play for awhile.  Controller works fine.  I attribute it to some weird quirk of the game (I even went down to Blockbuster and got another copy of the game to rule out a bad CD of some sort, even though the programmer in me can't imagine how that would be it). 

But then, while playing Wii Bowling with that controller, we get the same problem - everything is backwards.  Ok, now this is a problem, I can't exactly play meaningfully with one broken controller.

I call Nintendo, who admit that they've never heard of the problem.  They are intrigued, though, that even the hand icon goes upside down.  The guy gives me the "unofficial" Wiimote fix - turn it upside down and whack it a few times.

And you know what?  It worked!  My little hand icon turned rightside up before my eyes, and now it's working fine.

I know everybody's familiar with the "whack it" fix - I'm just blogging this because no amount of Googling told me anything about the "mirror image" problem, so I figure the next person that comes along looking for it will know, the whack it solution works for that, too.

23 comments:

steveo said...

How are the batteries? I see all sorts of weird stuff when the batteries get low. Not upside down though.

Most commonly, my controller gets stuck like the joystick is pressed one direction.

Duane said...

Batteries are reasonably fresh, and as fresh as the set in the other controller. Seems like it was something stuck, as the whack it fix did indeed work. Now I can play paper airplanes with the kids :).

Paul said...

Duane, I had the same problem. I Googled for a fix, came across your WIIMOTE tap, and tried it out. worked like a charm. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sadly, this fix worked for us a couple of times but not anymore. If anyone comes up with another fix, please post it here!

Jenny

Anonymous said...

Thanks soooooooooo much for posting this as I had the same problem and could not find any one who knew how to fix it! You're a champ gave it a good old whack and Wow what do you know!! We're back in action!! Thanks Mate!!

Kylie

Frank said...

I've seen this on other sites. I was skeptical in beating the remote. Believe it or not, it didnt't work the first two times (maybe not hard enough) got pissed, three times hard, bingo back to normal. No BS. If this occurs, Nintendo should know about this.

Anonymous said...

wacking worked for us too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, same problem and your solution worked.

Anonymous said...

I am laughing lots having a stress this afternoon that the wii was on the way out. Ater a good smack against the table - I have 2 very happy children again!Jo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your info - we were thinking we would have to send the remote back but a whack on the back sorted it out! Fantastic!

The Tulloss Family said...

We were just having the exact same problem as you are and I googled wii remote upside down and your post was the first choice - the "whack it" method worked for us, too!

Anonymous said...

Can't believe it, but it actually worked. :) Thanks for your post, I would have never figured out how to fix it otherwise.

Top Turn said...

how do you 'whack it' ??

Duane said...

Top Turn -- just hold it in one hand, and smack it into the palm of your other hand a couple of times.

Peter said...

WOW, it worked here too!!!

Anonymous said...

I am laughing so hard!!! Whacking DOES work!! Wow, technology is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Woh....... can't believe whacking it worked, we had the same problem after putting new batteries in and yes whack it a few times and it comes back. We can now play bowling with 2 wii's instead of 1. I say forget Nintendo, posting is fab......

Anonymous said...

i have had same problem and nearly went and bought new remote, will try the whack it fix and see what happens

Happily Whacked! said...

YUP! Wish we had done it months ago!!!! It even did a 1/4 turn, so kept whacking and sure enough! Cheers from the crowd!! :) Thanks for the post!!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!!! Who knew slamming it like my kids do would fix it?!?! Works like a charm!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Thankls so much been doing my head in took a few wacks but works fab :-)

Anonymous said...

I had to "Happy Birthday" it to the ground like 5 times before it worked!!? Amazed !

Anonymous said...

Yeh it worked thanks