I have a Droid Incredible 2 from Verizon. Had it coming up on 2 years. This past Father's Day it stopped powering on. Very weird circumstance, it rebooted itself while in camera, then acted flaky, then when I put it on the charger....nothing. Stopped responding in any way to any sort of stimulus. No lights, no nothing. When I'd first plug it in there'd be a little red charging light, but that would go off in 5 seconds. Left it on over night, nothing. Popped the battery, still nothing.
Having tried everything and now bracing myself for the worst (a dead phone), I call Verizon tech support, who quickly moves me along past all the above steps to "Ok let's do a factory reset on the phone."
- Hold down the Volume Down key.
- Press and hold the Power key for 3-5 seconds.
- You should now get a boot screen. (The hacker/geek in me squealed with glee when I saw this come up).
- One option is Factory Reset, which if you've never done one I'll warn you wipes your entire phone as if it's brand new, and you'll be tasked with setting up your Google accounts and such al over again, not to mention the havoc it will wreak on your various installed apps.
- Another option, however, is Fast Boot.