Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Android APK Can Not Press Install Button

There's lots of reasons why you might want to load an APK file directly onto your Android device. In my case I'm developing an app and didn't want to always have a USB connection setup, so instead I save the APK to my Dropbox directory, and then it appears nicely on my device.

But a problem appeared recently. I get a dialog asking to confirm the install, with CANCEL and INSTALL buttons. And the Install button doesn't work.  This is weird.  It's not disabled. It shows no interaction like it even realizes I'm pushing it. The Cancel button continues to work. But Install, no matter what I do, will not work.  I long press it, I do everything I can think of. Nothing.

I do have "Allow unknown sources" checked, of course. Just to get that out of the way.

I google around and find references to disabling any "screen dimmer" apps that might be running. Why? I have no idea. But I do run Twilight, which alters the colors of my screen at night so it doesn't glare in my face.

I turn that app off, and look at that! The install button works all of a sudden.


No comments: